Huevos Rancheros Cups for Breakfast!
So, I’m going to let you in on a little secret. Laura doesn’t love eggs. I’d dare say she hates them when they are all by their lonesome on the plate. Scrambled, over-easy, soft-boiled, hard-boiled, etc… she won’t touch them. Add a little (read: a LOT) of cheese or wrap them in a burrito with sausage and/or hash browns and salsa and did I mention cheese? and then she might consider it. Due to this little egg aversion, I went on a mission to find an egg filled breakfast that even Laura would enjoy. After much searching, and a few vetoes from Laura, I found these huevos rancheros tortilla cups with salsa verde by In Sock Monkey Slippers. I’m pretty certain she was skeptical but it was something quick and easy to throw together and the presentation unique enough.
So Meredith (of In Sock Monkey Slippers) actually used uncooked tortillas in the recipe. When I went to the store to get the ingredients I couldn’t find these things anywhere. And Laura, despite her best efforts, couldn’t find them either. So, like we tend to do, Laura and I made the recipe our own. We used some regular small burrito size tortillas and folded them into muffin cups. We scooped in some vegetarian refried beans (yep, the ones straight out of the can). Then we scrambled together some eggs, heavy cream, salt, pepper and chopped green peppers and poured that mixture into the cups. And then we topped it off with shredded cheddar cheese. We popped them into the oven for 12-15 minutes until the edges of the tortillas were golden brown and crispy. Then, my favorite part of this whole dish, we spooned some spicy salsa verde onto a plate and then placed the tortilla cup right in the center.
The huevos rancheros breakfast cups were a huge hit with our Friday morning friends. They looked impressive on the plate but they took us all of 10 minutes to put together with common pantry ingredients. They were quite delicious and a unique egg-y breakfast treat that even the toughest critics would enjoy!
Huevos Rancheros Tortilla Cups with Salsa Verde
- Small burrito size tortillas
- Refried beans (1 can should be enough, even for a large group)
- Eggs (1-2 per tortilla)
- Green Peppers (or other veggies of your choosing)
- Heavy cream or half and half (a splash or two, depending on how many eggs you use)
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Cheddar Cheese
- Salsa Verde (you can make your own or use your favorite jar variety)
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Place tortillas in an ungreased muffin tin. Press into the cups, allowing the excess tortillas to hang over the sides.
2. Spoon the refried beans in the bottom of the tortilla cup. Scramble eggs, cream or half and half, green peppers, salt and pepper together. Divide evenly between tortilla cups. Top with cheese.
3. Place in the oven. Bake until the eggs are set and edges or tortilla are golden brown and crispy. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
4. Spoon a few tablespoons of salsa verde onto plate and top with a piping hot huevos rancheros cup.